Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fitting In

Dear Dr. Sadie,

I work internationally. For the next six months, I am stationed in a very remote area in a country most people have never heard of. It's quite rustic. There's no electricity in my town. There's no indoor plumbing. It's like stepping back in time. I'm fine with all of it, and I'm enjoying getting to know the people and the local customs. It's very important that I am accepted by the locals and that I build relationships.

The problem is the food. There is a local dish that everyone eats. It's considered a very important part of the local culture. People take pride in how well they cook it, and recipes are handed down through generations. Unfortunately, it's awful. It's made of something I would never consider eating. It smells like the inside of a barn, and it tastes even worse. After eating it, I feel sick for a week. Unfortunately, as a new person to the town, whenever I am invited to someone's house, they make this dish for me and expect me to eat it enthusiastically. To refuse it is very insulting, and it would make my work much more difficult. 

What should I do?

- Delicate Stomach

Maybe you should say "I want to go to another part of this place where they don't have this food." You should find someone else to do this job. Maybe you could ask my Uncle Baba (ed. note - Dr. Sadie's Uncle, who is an international relief worker). He could do the job really well, and he would eat the food.

When I don't like something that's offered to me, I say, "that's not my favorite," which is nicer than "I don't like that food." I really don't like sweet potato and winter squash. I get sick for a week, too, if I eat them. If someone tries to give me sweet potato or winter squash, I say, "no thank you. That's not my favorite."


No comments:

Post a Comment