Saturday, December 15, 2012

Blending Traditions

Dear Dr. Sadie,

Well. It's that time of year again. The time when I begin to dread visiting my husband's family for the holidays. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely people who have welcomed me into their family with open arms. It's just that I don't think I can stomach another year of their family tradition - the dreaded Christmas Ham Hash. 

You see, each year, the family makes a Christmas Ham on Christmas Eve. It's relatively standard fare - pineapple rings and a maple glaze. Even though I'm not a big meat eater, it's always well prepared and there are plenty of side dishes. Unfortunately, breakfast the following morning is a sort-of Christmas Hash, made by putting most of the leftovers (including the ham, roasted potatoes, string beans and sweet potatoes with marshmallows) into a food processor, then blending it into a pulp, and frying it up like corned beef hash. The whole mess is served with fried eggs. It's indescribably awful.

There are no other food options on Christmas Morning, and no other meals to be had until dinner. If I don't eat, they will be offended. What should I do?

Food Grinch

I think you should ask Pig Will and Pig Won't (editor's note: these are characters from Sadie's favorite show - "Busytown Mysteries"). They would know. They would help make the food more like your taste. They would make you pancakes.

Breakfast with marshmallows!!?!? That's silly. I would rather eat pancakes with bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment