Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Why couldn't I be Rapunzel?

Dear Dr. Sadie,

I have a little problem. Actually it's seven little problems. A little while back, I ran away from my troubles, seeking a change in location for a change of mind. I was just looking for a place to lay low and clear my head. I lucked into a cohousing situation with seven "little people" - all men. They seemed industrious and stable. They were willing to trade rent for domestic duties, and none of gave off a creepy vibe. Their only negative trait was that they all had an annoying habit of whistling any time any work needed to be done.

Fast forward six months. It turns out that they're all a little crazy. One is allergic to everything. One is narcoleptic. Another's not the brightest bulb in the drawer. One is overeducated and lords it over us all. One of them is so shy he hasn't come out of his room since I moved in. Another is just plain moody. The last one, worst of them all, is borderline gleeful all the time. It's just not natural.

I feel grateful for the opportunity to live with them, but I think the relationship has run its course. Still, I can't help feeling that without me around, they'd never wash their socks or cook a decent meal. How do I bow out gracefully without hurting their feelings or leaving them in the lurch?

- S. White

You should get some new roommates. They should be smiley. I like smiles. You should live with three roommates. Seven is too many. Their names should be DeeDee, DeeTee and DeeGee.

When you leave, you should say "good bye." You can say "thank you," too. They sound nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment