Saturday, September 10, 2011

Give in, give up, or give a hoot?

Dear Dr. Sadie,

My friends tell me that watching the news makes me too sad, angry, and obsessed with things over which I have no actual influence. But the fact that I don't have any influence is what upsets me. At the very least, isn't it my duty as an American to stay informed about all the ways that our democracy is dying? I mean, if everyone stops paying attention and tunes out in order to reduce their stress levels, doesn't that guarantee that the dream of freedom and equality will be lost forever? Or is it too late? Are my friends right? Should I just get over it, accept the plutocracy, and focus more on my yoga practice?

Sincerely,
Politiconflicted

You should watch it over again. You should watch the television. You could watch Curious George the Monkey. He likes bananas. I like bananas, too.

It's OK if you don't know what's going on. As long as you have your mommy. Mommy knows everything. Santa is coming. I know that without the news. While I was sleeping, Santa came and brought me candy, then he put a scooter in my tree. I went out in the snow and rode around and around, and he rode around in his sleigh. I'm going to get a cow for Santa to pull his sleigh, so he can give presents to the children.

Don't be sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment