Tuesday, September 20, 2011

True Meaning of Christmas

Dear Dr. Sadie,

My wife and I are typical, Northeast, left-leaning, over-educated, middle class parents. We have a 2-year old daughter. She's very interested in Christmas, and is fascinated by Santa Claus. She can't wait for Santa to come visit, and she's been talking about the presents that he's going to bring for her.

I'd like her to have an appreciation for the spirit of the holidays, and not grow up with consumerist ideals. How can I help her to understand that Christmas is about love, family and giving, and not about new toys and candy?

- Ebenezer

You're going to turn into a prince, just like "The Beast" did. I don't know if you can turn into a Daddy after that.

Your daughter should know about other holidays. Halloween is coming, and people give you candy. You get to dress up as a ghost and scare people. Then they give you candy.

I'm going to bring pierogies for holiday meals. I like holiday meals, too. Christmas is my favorite holiday meal. I also like Christmas lights. Do you like Christmas lights, too?

Christmas isn't just about Santa and presents. Christmas is also about candy and trees and Christmas meals, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment