Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Peace or piece of mind?

Dear Dr. Sadie,

I am a lifelong pacifist. I don't understand war at all. I am a bit of an oddity in my chosen profession (I'm an engineer), but it's never caused me problems until now. I have been out of work for 3 years. The recession has hit me hard, and my family is struggling. We've already had to move twice, and now there are 5 of us living in a studio apartment.

Recently, a friend, who works for a defense contractor, submitted my resume to her superiors. She did so without my knowledge or permission. I have been contacted for an interview. My friend says that they were very impressed, and they are "fast tracking" me for a job. The idea of working for a company that makes weapons is abhorrent to me, but the money is fantastic. My family could afford to move back into a house and resume a sense of normalcy.

Should I stick to my principles or do what is right for my family?

- Rockin' the hard place

I don't know what you should do. This is a really hard one.

No comments:

Post a Comment