Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Tame the Lions or the Children

Dear Dr. Sadie,

Ever since I was a small child, I have always wanted to run away and join the circus. Specifically, I have wanted to be a lion tamer. Through a series of life's happenings, parental expectations and innate talent sets, I ended up going to college and becoming an accountant.

I just passed my 35th birthday. I am married to a great woman. We get along well and we truly love each other. We have 3 great kids, aged 9, 6 and 2. They are the loves of my life. I had all but forgotten my dream of lion taming until I saw an ad in the paper. Not only is the circus in town, but they're looking for a lion tamer.

If I apply for the job and take it, it would mean a rather large reduction in pay. My family would have to move to a much, much smaller house and have to make some radical lifestyle adjustments. I would also be on the road 10 months out of the year, and I would miss a lot of the good stuff about being a husband and father.

But a lifelong dream is a lifelong dream, right? Help me, Dr. Sadie.

- Lions or Love?

Well, if they want to move to a very small house, they can if they want to. Of course you should be a lion tamer, because it's what you want to do. Your family can move to the small house, and you'll still see them sometimes. I'm sure you'll come back, sometimes.

You have to go where there's lots of lions to be a lion tamer. Maybe you should go to a hot place, like Arizona or the beach. There are lots of lions there. You'd better remember an umbrella, because an umbrella will protect you from the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment